Starting any business is never simple, but it doesn’t have to be as complicated as many people think. A lot of what is needed is actually fun. You have to understand that much of starting any business requires you to be a salesman. You have to build yourself and your company up.
You must get a business number and registration. You can check your government listings for the correct number. You must also check with your local accountant to see what needs to be done about taxes etc.
You must also decide if you are going to be a home business or if you are planning to run a studio for a lease. Make sure to purchase all of the necessary materials. Some items you can get for free if you know where to look. Here is a list of some of those materials.
What you will need
• Color swatches for paints and fabrics ( you can get many of them for free from local paint stores if you ask)
• Fabric samples are a necessity (you can get them for free from your local furniture store)
• Interior design magazines for client perusal (it helps them get an idea of what they like)
• Furniture catalogues (free from furniture dealers and retailers)
• Fine arts catalogue, get them from art galleries
• Kitchen and bathroom catalogues. Basically get catalogues from everybody that deals with furniture, art, and lighting stores
• Photos of your work, and signed recommendations (remember you get them from family and friends when you are just starting out)
• Your portfolio (always have a copy of your portfolio)